French disco icon Amanda Lear has publicly accused American pop star Miley Cyrus of plagiarising one of her songs from the 1970s, claiming Cyrus’s latest track bears striking similarities to her 1978 hit, “The Sphinx.”
Lear, the model-turned-singer who famously became a muse of surrealist artist Salvador Dalí and was linked romantically to Rolling Stones guitarist Brian Jones, made the accusation on social media Sunday.
Cyrus, 33, released her tenth album, Bass Persuades, last Friday. The 10-track dance-pop record includes the ballad “Redlights,” a song Lear says closely resembles the slower, gravelly-voiced “The Sphinx.”
“Thank you, Miley, for copying my song ‘The Sphinx’! I’m flattered!” Lear wrote, adding the hashtags #ripoff and #copycat.
Speaking to AFP on Monday, Lear said she was not personally seeking legal action but wanted recognition for her work.
“I’ve never been litigious, but my record label, Universal, and the publishers of the track, for which I wrote the lyrics, want acknowledgement of the plagiarism,” she said.
Lear added that her social-media post was intended to draw attention to the similarities rather than threaten Cyrus with a lawsuit.
“I simply pointed out the situation by thanking Miley Cyrus and adding that I was flattered. I never threatened a lawsuit or retaliation,” she said.
Lear has enjoyed a long career as a singer and composer, releasing more than 20 albums and becoming a prominent figure in European disco.
Her connection to the world of rock music also dates back to the Swinging Sixties in London. The Rolling Stones are widely believed to have referenced her in their song “Miss Amanda Jones.”
For now, the dispute centres on the alleged similarities between “The Sphinx” and “Redlights,” with Lear seeking acknowledgement for the earlier work rather than announcing legal proceedings.
The post Amanda Lear Accuses Miley Cyrus of Copying her 1978 hit, “The Sphinx.” appeared first on Nigerian Entertainment Today.
from Nigerian Entertainment Today https://ift.tt/jg28VLO
via IFTTT
Post a Comment