“No regrets” – Fulham’s Alex Iwobi maintains preference for Nigeria’s Super Eagles over England’s Three Lions

Super Eagles and Fulham midfielder, Alex Chuka Iwobi, has revealed he has no regrets about his decision to play for Nigeria rather than England, Soccernet.ng reports.

The 28-year-old versatile midfielder has been a mainstay in the Nigerian National team since making his debut in October 2015.

Iwobi was born in Nigeria but left the country at the age of four, moving to England following a brief stay in Turkey. He spent most of his childhood in the Arsenal Youth setup, making it to the senior team before moving to Everton in 2019.

Eligible to represent England or Nigeria, Iwobi started as a youth international for England, playing for the U-16, U-17 and U-18 sides, before switching his allegiance to the three-time AFCON winners in 2015.

Almost a decade after deciding to play for Nigeria, the former Arsenal man revealed he has no regrets about picking the Super Eagles.

“Even from the first time I came here, they made me feel welcome, so I wouldn’t say I have any regrets. I’d like to say I respected England, they gave me a lot of opportunities and I was able to make them proud, but I feel more at home with Nigeria. I feel this is where I’m at home and where I represent, like my family, everyone. I’ve grown up in a Nigerian culture so I’d say that I have no regrets about picking Nigeria over England,” he said in an interview with Hotsports Nigeria.

The Fulham man is focused on enjoying his football in Nigeria and hopes to do so continuously as time goes on.

“I’m always enjoying myself not just when we are playing matches but in training. In the camp, it’s like one big family so it makes it easier for me to express myself and join in. I’m enjoying my time and hopefully, there’s more years to come as well,” Iwobi added.

Iwobi was singled out for cyberbullying following Nigeria’s AFCON 2023 final defeat to Ivory Coast, but he remains committed to the National team.

 

 

N.B: We want to know your thoughts. Do you think Iwobi made the right decision to play for Nigeria over England? Let us know in the comments.

 

 

 

 

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post