“It attracts more players” – Super Eagles-Fulham duo hoping AFCON success will bring more players to Nigeria

Nigeria-Fulham duo, Alex Iwobi and Calvin Bassey, have revealed that continuously putting the Super Eagles on the International stage attracts more players, Soccernet.ng reports.

The pair played all of Nigeria’s seven games at the AFCON 2023 tournament in Ivory Coast, helping the Super Eagles to place in the final.

Iwobi and Bassey could have represented other nations internationally, but chose to don the green and white colours of the three-time AFCON Champions, and hope their act can inspire other foreign-born Nigeria-eligible players to follow in the same path.

Iwobi, quizzed about the impact winning trophies has on the National team, revealed it attracts foreign talents.

“Yeah, of course, especially with the sort of talent we have in Nigeria now. Unfortunately, we lost in the final (AFCON), but if we keep on progressing and win competitions, it’ll attract players not just living in England, but also in Spain and Germany to try and play from where they’re actually from because for me, I grew up in the Nigerian culture so when I just tried it out and saw it what was I like, there was no turning back for me. Plus, they’ve seen me and Calvin do it, why not do it as well?” the 28-year-old said in an interview with Sky Sports.

Alex Iwobi refusing to celebrate after scoring against Everton last Saturday.

Bassey on the other hand, revealed the love Nigerians have shown him has been overwhelming, and encouraged more foreign-born players to always go back to their roots to learn more about themselves.

“The love is crazy, still and I think more from my family. I didn’t get to grow up in Nigeria, so whenever I go back, it’s always a different connection and like killing two birds with one stone.

Like Alex said, I’m the first generation from my family to grow up in England, but I grew up in a very African household, so for me, it didn’t feel strange going back, it just felt normal.

So, I think it encourages people to learn more about their backgrounds. They don’t necessarily have to play for the country but at least to know more about their roots is important. Alex and I feel at home when we’re there, so it’s good,” the versatile Fulham defender added.

Iwobi and Bassey have been regulars in Marco Silva’s starting lineup this season, and have helped the Cottagers to 10th place in the English Premier League this season.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post