Switching beats for goals: Aarhus Fremad defender shares struggles with depression, ditching music to focus on football

Former Remo Stars and Sporting Lagos defender, Olalere Oluwasegun, recounted his experiences from days of playing grassroots football to playing with Danish club, Aarhus Fremad with Soccernet.ng.

Hailing from Osun State and growing up in Agege, Lagos, Olalere’s early days were filled with a love for football. However, his dream faced resistance at home. While his mother was his biggest supporter, his father had different plans, envisioning a medical career for his son.

The left-footed versatile defender hails from the locals of Osun State in Nigeria but grew up in Agege, Lagos, and his early days were filled with a love for football.

As time went on, he decided to venture into the profession full-time, but friction came up at home. While his mother was his biggest supporter, his father had different plans, envisioning a medical career for his son and he often got whooped him for playing the game he loved the most.

“My dad didn’t want me to play football. He wanted me to be a medical doctor My mum was supportive. When I was younger, I’d go to the pitch with the older ones, and they always told her I was good with the ball. I remember I started as a left-back then, and they called me Taiye Taiwo because I was black,” the 24-year-old said in an interview with Soccernet.ng.

Olalere started his career with Warri Wolves in the Nigeria Professional Football League after a brief stint with Macedonian side – FC Shkupi, but hit a snag after two seasons as an injury knocked him off-course, leading to his release from the club, and a break from football for almost two years.

The action plummetted the defender into a plethora of emotions, as he considered quitting football for music. He lost friends, but his mother’s support kept him on track.

“I know where I started, and where I came from. I’ve learned a lot, but the biggest lesson I’d say is to never give up. I remember losing my job with Warri Wolves due to injuries, and I couldn’t play for about eighteen months. I went through hell, and my friends even turned my calls down, but I needed to persevere because I believed my dream would come true.”

Olalere’s mother, a Ghana-Nigerian, played a vital role in his career, and he considers her the very reason he’s grown to become a much better person today, but he yearns for her presence, for her to see how far he’s come.

“My mother. She’s late now. She motivated me to keep playing and to pursue my dreams. There was a time when I stopped playing and started singing hip-hop music, and she called me to set my priorities right. When I was younger, some people knew I had talent, so she told me to focus on football and leave music, and she promised to support me. It hurts that she’s not here to see how far I’ve come so far.”

Olalere in action for Danish second-tier side, Aarhus Fremad.

Redemption

With the support of his family, Olalere got back on his feet, and resumed his football career, signing for NNL side, Sporting Lagos. That decision would turn a switch on his career, causing a meteoric rise in his football journey. After a season, he joined NPFL side, Remo Stars, crediting their tactician, Daniel Ogunmodede, for his style of play and his development as a ball-playing centre-back.

“Thanks to Sporting Lagos because they picked me at my lowest point. Thanks to Coach Dan, and now, here I am in Denmark. The experience with Remo Stars really shaped me as a player and a person positively. The playing system was so good. We played in a way that suited my strengths. Starting from the back with the ball made me a much better player. I had so many memorable moments like taking the team from Ikenne to the CAF Confederations Cup Champions League was a surreal experience. It’s a memorable moment. I was the man of the match in my first game for Remo Stars as well. It was one of my best moments with the club. I had so many good players to look up to. The looks of Dayo Ojo, and the senior players were good people. They spoke to me after bad games to encourage me,” the 24-year-old recounted.

Aarhus Fremad

After one season with Remo Stars, an offer from Europe came calling for the versatile defender. Sporting Lagos’ sister club, Aarhus Fremad, signed Olalere, bringing him closer to his dreams of playing with Europe’s big boys.

“It was amazing. I never saw the deal coming, and I know it was divinely orchestrated, and I’m grateful for it. It was difficult waiting due to visa issues, and it was also difficult to adapt to a new country. It was cold and rainy, and I struggled a bit mentally. I had to be strong in my head because I knew I had to stay here. I almost got depressed because the culture shock was crazy. I had no friends and was always indoors, but now it’s much better.”

The transition, however, was fraught with challenges, from visa issues to adapting to a new climate. The culture shock, the weather, the language barrier, and the style of play made Olalere’s dream move look like a terribly tough ordeal.

“The cold. When I got there, it was raining. I missed some games due to the cold and lack of rest. I couldn’t sleep, couldn’t give my best and couldn’t play some games because my coach couldn’t see my peak at the time. It started snowing and I couldn’t play because I couldn’t feel my toes, couldn’t feel my boots. It was tough on the pitch and off the pitch. I come from a place where I had to walk every day, and now I can’t even see the sun. The language barrier was also a thing. Most people speak English, but whenever they spoke Danish, I was lost. Thanks to my teammates, they helped me settle in. Things are a bit different in Nigeria. The people here are stricter. The style of play is also very different from how we play in Nigeria. Over here, things are more tactical, but back home, the football is more physical. Generally, I’d say it was okay. We won some games and we lost.”

Growth as a Player

At the age of 24, Olalere has built up experience on and off the pitch, admitting he’s now a much better well-rounded and mature person. He now aims for more, working hard to fulfil his aspirations of playing in the English Premier League and the UEFA Champions League.

“My mental strength has improved massively. I’m now a better person, on and off the pitch. I’ve had to take responsibility and be more commanding as a defender. My eyes have become more open, I’d say.”

His sole motivation is tied to hard work and his faith. Olalere mentioned he’s keen on getting better as a footballer by putting in the work and receiving feedback from coaches and teammates alike. Quizzed about his words of wisdom for younger footballers in Nigeria, the Aarhus Fremad defender said;

“Hold on to God, then work hard, because it pays off. Even if you have zero support, please never stop working, keep training. Push yourself. Do personal training and stretch yourself mentally. Additionally, have a strong support system. Have people you can always open up to, and people that support you. Listen to instructions, take feedback, and ask how you can be better because learning never stops.”

Off the pitch, he spends time with friends and teammates, and a family he’s adopted in Denmark. As the season beckons, he’s set his sights on promotion to the Super Liga with Aarhus Fremad.

 

Do you have an interesting football story? Send us a summary via email, and we could feature you in Soccernet Stories: contact@soccernet.com.ng

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post